When it comes to a cup of coffee, my preference is black (well, I wouldn’t turn down a shot of Bourbon Cream either). When it comes to espresso drinks, my preference is simply straight shots. I’m not much of a latte guy. Rarely ever drink a cappuccino. No interest in a Mocha. And definitely no “frappucinno” for me. To each his own, just not my style, which is funny since I just bought a new espresso machine for the house. As you can guess, the steam wand on this machine is not going to get a lot of use. That is just one of the reasons I will never win a latte art contest. Here are a few others:
1. I don’t work at or own a “coffee shop.” Never have. My endeavors in the business have always been wholesale roasting. I have never spent hours pulling shots and steaming milk.
2. I can’t draw, or paint or do much of anything considered “artsy.” No way I could possibly pour milk in the shape of swan or buzzard or any recognizable thing.
3. I would not have the patience to steam and pour pitcher after pitcher of milk. I don’t like the mess.
4. I don’t really care, which brings me to the final reason:
5. I can’t really take coffee “competitions” seriously. As much as I love coffee and roasting and enjoy the product, in the end…it’s coffee. I mean, I can’t ever see a barista competition becoming an Olympic sport. Then again, maybe I’m just jealous.