Sorry, I couldn’t resist! As I sit here getting ready to go to the day job, (after fielding coffee questions all morning), I can’t help but think of more reasons why I would rather skip work, become a full-time coffee roaster and ditch the manager role:
1. As I posted on the Facebook page, coffee roasters don’t have to shave every day…or ever…and I don’t like to shave.
2. If you are a roaster, people start calling you “coffee guy” or “coffee man.” If you are a manager they mostly call you “asshole!”
3. Coffee roasters tend to favor craft beer and micro-brewery offerings as a kinship. Managers are Bud Light kind of guys…and I’m sorry but Bud light tastes like water.
4. Coffee roasters have passion. Managers are dead inside, secretly wishing they could be coffee roasters…or micro brewers.
5. Coffee roasters are happy with carving out their own little niche in the world. Managers want to rule the world. It reminds me of the Springsteen lyric in Badlands;
Poor men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings,
And a king aint satisfied till he rules everything.
6. Coffee roasters know they have a good product; you either get it or you don’t. Managers spend millions trying to convince you that they have something worth your time and money.
7. The only time I ever dreaded work as a coffee roasters was when someone asked me to flavor raspberry coffee…ick. Or when I had to grind hundreds of pounds for a school fundraiser ( I usually got my wife to do that!). And even then, it wasn’t that bad. Managers look forward to the weekend.
Which brings me to now; filled with dread, it’s time to put on a Polo shirt and head to the day job. Heck, I will probably get fired for saying all this stuff! C’est la vie!